Think you’ve got green thumbs? Then put your money where your mouth is this spring and join the North Gwent Cardiac Rehabilitation and Aftercare Charity’s Potato Growing Challenge.
The charity, which runs community-based exercise classes for cardiac patients across Monmouthshire and Blaenau Gwent, is staging the challenge from 27 March to 25 June, to raise funds for one-to-one rehab support at home for people who can’t get to community classes.
Sponsored by the Abergavenny Garden Centre, the three-month challenge is open to all ages, with the winner being the grower with the heaviest yield of spuds at the “grand reveal” weigh-in at the Garden Centre at 3 pm on 25 June.
Kits will be available from the Abergavenny Garden Centre, at Church Lane, Llanfoist, from 21-27 March.
- Participants will receive a standard home-growing kit including:
- 1 x organic “Colleen” variety seed potato
- 1 x 10-litre pot
- growing instructions
For further information about the Potato Growing Challenge, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call charity secretary Tony Lowery on 07938 549 801 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm).
- You may purchase more than one seed potato and enter more than one container BUT only one seed potato per container is allowed.
- The maximum container size you must use to grow your potatoes in is 15 liters.
- You must plant only the seed potato you have been given.
- Any growing medium and any means of cultivating your potatoes are permitted.
- Before you bring your potato container to the GRAND REVEAL please cut off the foliage.
- Bring your complete container with the potatoes still in the growing media to Abergavenny Garden Centre on Saturday 25th June between 15.00 – 15.30 please ensure your name is on the container
- We will empty out your potatoes and the judge will weigh them.
- The three competitors with the highest weight of potatoes children and adults will receive a prize
- The judge’s decision is final.
- Please take your container and potatoes home with you after the prize giving